Monday, July 02, 2012

My Cloth Diaper Journey

I had looked into cloth diapers before having both Cade & Mace but because of their food intolerances felt it would have been a disaster.  Then with having two little boys in diapers I started to get really stressed out about buying diapers all the time.  In March, I was changing Cade and realized I was about out of diapers even though I had just bought some.  In my frustration, I went downstairs, got on the computer and purchased the cloth diapers I had looked at so many times over the last couple years.  I then anxiously waited for my shipment to arrive.  

It was a bit of a mess in the beginning.  The shipment was all screwed up when it arrived and I had to call them 3 different times before it was all figured out and I had the right things.  Then the diapers didn't fit Mace right.  They were so tight on him even though he was 18 pounds and they were supposed to go to 25 pounds.  The snaps were digging into his skin leaving marks every time and about rubbing him raw.  Plus they leaked CONSTANTLY.  I was so disappointed but didn't want to give up using cloth.  

After the disappointing start with the gDiapers, I started researching again like a crazy person.  I became completely obsessed with cloth diapers and read everything I could find.  I finally decided to make another order with a small variety of diapers so I wasn't tied down to one brand again like last time in case it didn't work out.  Within the next couple months I made a few more purchases watching my stash grow.  In the beginning I was having to wash every day because I only had five diapers.  Now I can go 2-3 days between loads which is nice.  I've also moved Cade into cloth.  He's too big for most of the pocket diapers so I've got him wearing a Thirsties cover with flour sack towels.  He seems to like them and will reach for them when we go to change his diaper.

I now love my cloth; even though my mom still thinks I'm crazy for doing this.  The best part about cloth is how stinking cute the diapers are.  There are so many cute designs you can get.  They really aren't that much work and I haven't had any blowouts since switching.  With disposables I was having a heck of a time containing Mace's messes.  There were a few diaper changes before that required both of us to change our clothes afterwards.  It was honestly so disgusting.  Now that's no longer a problem.  We do however have a few potty leaks but I'll take potty over poo getting on everything any day.




1 comment:

Shantel said...

Goodness, they are CUTE! I LOVE the little cow print diaper, hehe, adorable. I'm excited to start using ours, hopefully it goes well!