Monday, July 09, 2012

Our Garden

yummy basil
Mitch and I have enjoyed having a vegetable garden since we first got married.  In the last few years we have been unable to grow anything between building our house and waiting to get a yard.  So this year we were super excited to be able to get a garden in and went all out.  This year we are growing garlic, lettuce, carrots, corn, garden peas, snow peas, onions, dill, basil, cilantro, cucumbers, two varieties of potatoes, tomatoes, asparagus and different varieties of peppers.  We have also planted a strawberry patch and have blueberries, blackberries and grapes. 




Our corn and eaten lettuce & carrots
 In the beginning we had some problems with rabbits so we put up a short fence and that has helped.  Then in the last week, a baby deer has been getting in and has eaten my lettuce and the tops of all of my carrots.  Hopefully we don't get too much more damage.  We don't want to have to take out Bambi.   

Our mass of potato plants





Last weekend we were able to harvest some potatoes and used them for mashed potatoes to go with our steak for dinner.  Oh my goodness.  They were the yummiest potatoes I've had.  The skins came right off  when I cleaned them so I didn't have to peel them and they were so buttery and creamy.  Delicious!!  We have never grown potatoes before so we are very pleased with them and I can't imagine ever wanting to buy potatoes from the store again.  We have also been using lots of our herbs lately.  I just love having an herb garden because they are so expensive at the store and you never use all of them before they go bad.  It's great to go out and pick just what I need for dinner that evening. 



Do you see all those?
My tomato plants this year are unlike any I've ever had before.  I have some that are almost as tall as me.  I know I'm not very tall but come on.  They are huge!!  And loaded with tomatoes.  I'm so excited to stock my storage room with goodies for the winter.  It'll be so nice not to have to buy so much at the grocery store because these three little boys eat a LOT.  

4 comments:

Kristen said...

yummy!! :)

Shantel said...

Your garden looks great! Andrew and I were just talking about it today wondering if you've had trouble since it's been so dry. It looks like it's flourishing though!

Danielle said...

Shantel, those pics were from last Sunday. This week things aren't looking as well. We water about daily but still the heat and animals are taking their toll.

Danielle said...

Shantel, those pics were from last Sunday. This week things aren't looking as well. We water about daily but still the heat and animals are taking their toll.